Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Missing Things

You know how sometimes you don't realize that something is missing in your life until you find it back in your life after a long absence? You know, that restaurant that kicks ass, but you forget all about it until a buddy takes you back? The friend that got lost in the last move and you run into him/her randomly and that friendship comes alive again?

Well, I found part of me that I have been missing for years this weekend. My friends' kids. Yup...the rugrats! Back in the day, many of my friends had kids and if I wanted to continue to be in my friends' lives (which as we all know I do!), I had to become child-friendly. Not that this was hard for me 'cause I really do love kids...but I made that transition to "Aunt Michelle" back in the day. When I left Salt Lake back in 2001, I bawled when saying goodbye to "my" kids 'cause I just couldn't imagine life without their moments of pure joy and love and all the other stuff. I moved to Cincy and then to DC and my friends in both locations really were childless. I forgot what that kid time gave to my life.

This weekend I went back to the land of Salt and rediscovered the pure joy. Oh, yes, there is crying and tantrums and all that drama, but the hug and kiss of a child is the rarest of joys...even though it happens all the time when you are around them. They love so easily. They share so freely. I am so grateful for my friends who allow me to have these moments with their children...I truly do cherish them. And if my readers haven't spent time with a child recently, get thee to one! It reaffirms life on a level that is inexplicable.

On a totally unrelated note (other than this thought hit me this weekend on my trip as well)...I love nature! The drive between my house and Salt Lake City is pretty much uninhabited land...desert, mountains, cliffs, rivers, streams, etc. I thought the drive would be mundane and boring (didn't think the Utah desert held much excitement!). Not so. The vistas are amazing. The wonders of nature unfold before you with every turn or ascent. I drove through canyons, mountains, deserts, valleys... I now remember why I love road trips....they are beautiful.

I am amazed at how philosophical I am tonight, but I really did find joy this weekend and I haven't had that in a bit. Thank you to all of my Salt Lake friends (and children) that gave me this respite from the real world. (y'all will get to "meet" some of "my" kids once I get a few pics from my friends...adorable!)

No comments: