Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting Along Just Doesn't Seem Like an Option

I am not sure where this blog will take me, but I really wanted to put some thoughts to paper...

Last week's election brought so many things to light...goods and bads. Am I excited that Barack Obama is our president-elect? As most of you know, I have been a big supporter of his since even before he announced his candidacy. So, yes, I am extremely happy to see such a bright, young, articulate, thoughtful man leading our country. Do I know a portion of my friends think I am completely wrong about this? Yup. It's ok...it is great to have something to talk about and to have people that will push me to see all sides of the issues. I like having many sides of every story around me so I can learn and have great conversation. I love a good debate.

There is one debate right now that is not a good debate these days. Not sure it ever was a good debate, but it definitely isn't now. (This is my disclaimer right now...I am not going to pontificate on any issue in the rest of this blog; merely, pontificate on how people are choosing to voice THEIR opinions on a certain issue)

State Bans on Gay Marriage and Non-Married Couple Adoption of Children

I am well aware that this is a very hot button issue with so many people. I know. It kinda is for me too. I have very strong opinions on it and do voice them if asked. But how this country is responding to this issue makes me sick. It makes me worry about this country on so many levels. On one side, we have the pro-family side who is claiming victory on this issue and very excited about the passing of Proposition 8. People are spouting off about how clearly the states (and de facto the country) has decided that a marriage is defined by one man and one woman and that only a married man and a woman can adopt a child. That somehow if this proposition had been defeated it proved our country was going to hell in a handbasket and our moral fiber would be forever torn assunder.

On the other hand, we have those that are opposed to the propositions and bans holding mass demonstations outside of Mormon temples and other churches. We have boycotts beginning on tourism to Utah and the Sundance Film Festival because the Mormon church is based there (even though no Utah Mormon voted on the bans in this election). An artistic director of a theatre in San Fransisco stepped down from his position because many of his creative team had threatened a ban against his theatre because he PERSONALLY donated money to support Proposition 8. What is going on???

Yes, everyone has the right to free speech and can be part of boycotts and try to have some effect on those that created the present situation. Everyone can also be held accountable for their actions and might have to pay the price for them. But how misdirected and ill-fitting can these actions be? The state of Utah may see a drastic downturn in their tourism revenue (which in this economy is very bad) because the California Mormon members greatly supported the ban in CA. The city of Park City, UT (and home to the Sundance Film Festival), which is grossly non-Mormon in make-up (likewise for the film festival) may be the hardest hit (biggest ski town in UT and home to Sundance) and it had absolutely nothing to do with the CA proposition. Is a boycott against the state of Utah going to change the minds of the Mormons? Ah, no...no chance in a burning hell!!!

Now, a personal donation has meant a professional downfall and possibly a business's downfall. This man had been a part of this company for a dozen years or more. He won't be replaced easily. Because he personally donated a couple of bucks to a cause he believed in and if you read this article, you will see that he actually has a lesbian sister who he supports and loves. Again, I state, I realize that we all may feel the effects of our personal decisions, but a boycott by the staff of an organization because one person personally supported a legal, political campaign? We can't support the issues we feel are important without losing our jobs and that negatively effecting the businesses we work for???? What are we doing, kids? I guess I better rethink my stance on the public parks initiative that I voted on in Fairfax County...those that hate parks and think they shouldn't exist might come after me as a project manager and I may lose my job!

I don't know...I realize this is intensely personal for everyone involved and we humans don't do a good job at responding rationally to what effects us deeply. I don't know why I insist on us acting rationally 'cause we never do. But I hate reading these articles that keep popping up...the hatred and bitterness that is spewed by both sides of this issue and many others. We spend so much time, energy, money, etc on fighting with each other. Can't we all just get along??

No comments: