Saturday, September 19, 2009

Back to the Pigskin

Football has begun and I am happily and snugly encompassed. Obviously, Notre Dame is my first love and my first priority. I traveled to Detroit last weekend to see the most important game of ND's schedule (in my book)--ND/Michigan. Now, it is not always the best game, but this is the rivalry that I hold dear. My friends Melissa and Kevin, have season tickets at the Big House and 2 years ago I reserved these tickets. So excited to go.

My friend from work, Ben, came with me. He and his family have been huge ND fans for forever and he was as excited as I was to be in the Big House to see the Irish. The outcome was not what we wanted, but it was awesome. It was so freaking loud. 110,000 people in one stadium, most of them cheering for the wrong team. It was insane! Being there now has given me the itch to go back to South Bend and see the Golden Dome glistening in the background as my Blue and Gold fight it out for a victory in front of Touchdown Jesus. A beautiful dream...

Today, ND narrowly escaped another upset. So frustrating! And we may have lost Floyd for most of the season with a collerbone break. Clawsen injured his toe. Its mayhem, I tell ya! Everyone thinks that will such a soft schedule that ND should be able to pull out 10 wins this season. I am not so sure. They blew out Nevada, but who really is Nevada? Both Michigan games have been quite telling on the defensive side of the ball. Up in Ann Arbor, ND racked up over 400 yards of offense...today 300. Shouldn't that translate into blowout games? You'd think, but in Irish country, not so much. It meant a last minute defeat (that should have been prevented with proper clock management) and a squeaker (prevented by a near goal line interception). Yeah...how are we going to play USC (who lost today...woohoo!) with a defense that a mediocre high school team could penetrate? Yeah, another tough season for Irish fans.

So...I finally get to go to a Steelers game!!! I have mercilessly teased by dear friend Sara about lack of opportunities to return to her place of birth for a game at Heinz Field. Well...she came through! We are going to see the Bungles play the Steelers in November. If we are lucky, we will also get our hands on a couple of Pitt/ND tickets for that weekend. What a weekend that would be!

On a final note...my fantasy team sucks! I thought my draft was on a Saturday...nope, Friday. Auto draft teams make for interesting results. My boy, Ben, is my QB, but way too many Redskins on my team for my taste. Not sure how I am going to post a .500 season with this team.

No comments: