Monday, March 12, 2007

The Gift of Giving

Yesterday, I decided to get out the house (and the Vail Valley) and went down to Silverthorne (closest big town...outlet malls, a DQ, and TARGET!!!!). Well, I'm female and decided that a little outlet shopping wouldn't dent the bank account that much...so on I went to Old Navy.

I saw in their window display something about giving to your community, etc. I must say, even though I have spent the last 6 years immersed in non-profits, this really didn't make me stop and read the big sign. I did my shopping and was checking out. Ok, the big sign was back and since I was just standing in line, I decided, what the hell? I might as well read it. The sign explained that giving to one's community is very important and that Old Navy wanted to support their customer's philanthropic tendencies. They were giving you 10% off your purchase, hoping that you would then take that 10% savings and donate it to a charity of your choice. I thought...novel idea. Went up to the register and at the end of the transaction the sales associate told me that they were giving me 10% in hopes that I would donate it. Again, reiterating to the customer the deal that they were hoping would be passed on to a worthy cause.

This isn't huge or anything, but it struck me. It really did. Here is a company willing to give a discount, hoping that their customers will do some good. They don't just have mints next to a change collector. They don't have a big paper hot air balloon that you put your name on and stick to the wall. No ringing bells. They are asking us to be active in the giving. To take the money that we "saved" and find a cause that means something to us. I don't suspect that huge numbers will actually donate, but I give a gold star to Old Navy for passing the buck to us and asking us to pass it on to someone that is doing good.

No comments: