This past weekend, I made the trek down the mountain to Denver to go to The Police concert. My friend emailed me about some tickets a co-worker was trying to sell and we decided to go. Why not? It's only $55 and it is to go to the most anticipated concert of the season. Being an 80's lover, I figured it was right up my alley.
I found out that I am not all that old and decrepit. Yeah, there were songs I definitely knew...but I realized that they weren't songs I knew because I experienced life while listening to them. I knew songs because they are such a part of modern pop culture and I have heard them replayed over and over again. Roxanne...much beloved song...1978. I was 3!!! Even my older brother wouldn't probably have been listening to it in the house since he was only 8. Message in a Bottle-1979. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da-1980. At least Wrapped Around Your Finger and Every Breath You Take were released when I was 8!
I know we all have bands like this...we just know some of their music so well and then another half of their repertoire, not so much. I had this experience at my first Journey concert. They actually played their music kind of in chronological order and I was lost for the first half of the show. I was wondering if I had a great misconception of who I thought was Journey. Then they hit the 80's music and I was home, but I had never even been exposed to their 70's stuff.
So, about the concert...it was fun...the music I did know was pretty good. Sting still sounds like Sting. Minimal stage...3 huge screens in the front. Not much chatting. Concert was a little under 2 hours. Had a good time...but didn't have an earth-shattering, amazing time. Definitely glad I didn't pay $250 for tickets as so many had. But I had a friend at the concert who was 5-10 years older than me and she lived this music. She had the greatest time and was glad to have plunked down the money.
For a day, though, I didn't feel so old...there was actually some 80's music that was even a bit before my time. And I got to see a legend perform some great music. All in all, a good time had by all.
1 comment:
i am SO JEALOUS! they're in Baltimore and Philly during two different tech weeks - I'm totally not going to make it to either. Thanks for writing about it - i'm living vicariously!
Post a Comment