So, let's just get the sports blog out of the way and then maybe later this week I can whip up a life update blog. Or at least something that doesn't include some sort of ball (well, you know what i mean!).
Tennis
Yes, it has been that time of year again: Wimbledon. My favorite tournament. Because of constant rain delays, I rarely got to see any live tennis. But we can't be too choosy. I watched what I could: before work, after work. I even tracked scores while at work.
But today, oh, today. Some of the best tennis I have watched in a very long time. Men's final: Federer (#1 in the world) v. Nadal (#2 in the world). Now, the grass definitely favors Federer, but Nadal has vastly improved his game so he can compete on the fast surface. Now, everyone knows I am just kinda in love with Rafa Nadal...oh, beautiful man. Love him! Anyway, I would root for him just for sake, but to root for him to beat Federer who has won 4 straight Wimbledon titles and the cockiness to prove it? Oh, yeah. I was pulling for Rafa. It wasn't to be, but it went 5 sets and was just beautiful. A lot of times when you get #1 v. #2, you just don't really get high quality tennis...one will dominate due to surface or mental strength, etc. But today both players were just masterful. A win by Rafa would have completely made my day, but great tennis comes awfully close to the same thing. (And I got to cook while watching...two of my favorite things!).
So, now we are going to start up the US Open Series leading up to the US Open in Aug/Sept. My sister and I are going to go for a little trip to NYC for the Open, so I will be following all of the leading events. Its prime tennis season and I am so ready to be sucked in!!
Baseball
A few months ago I promised to give baseball a fair shake this summer. I have argued (pretty successfully, I might add) that baseball is not a sport and that to call it so is just wrong. I have always bored watching this GAME and didn't have much respect, gotta admit.
Mid-year report: Well, it is now the All-Star break and I have watched quite a bit of baseball. I decided to go back to my roots and follow the Chicago Cubs. Being that they are on WGN, I can see most of their games. Also, I did follow them briefly when I was living back in Indiana, so it seemed to make some sense. I have tried to watch some other games too...just to get the full perspective. I actually went to a Dodgers/Cubs game in LA with my friend Larry.
I still stand by the "non-sport" designation, but I have been enjoying myself. Its great learning something completely new and it is kind of interesting. For instance, I now know that there are 8 current teams that have never won the World Series. I know that the Cubs are above .500 and are threatening a struggling Brewers team for the NL Central Division lead. I know that the season is way too damn long. I know that baseball still isn't a sport! Haha...
I actually found myself enjoying a game a couple of weeks ago that had 1 run scored in the whole game...now that is a scary admission...and neither team was the Cubs. And that run was a homerun in the 8th. I'm a big person and can admit these things. I won't hide my excitement when I see Theriot go 4-5 against the Rockies and the Cubbies pull out a 10-9 win in the bottom of the 9th. Did I watch some of every game of the Brewers series just to see if the Cubs could match up against the division leaders? Yup...ok, I am admitting way too much!
I am not going to give a verdict yet...since we are only half way through the season. Will I keep up my watching and my ESPN.com following of the Cubs and baseball in general? For this year, I do think I will. Am I a lifetime fan of baseball from here on out? We're pleading the 5th until the end of the season. Are we sure we have to have another 70 or so games of baseball?
Football does start before the end of the season...now, that is something to look forward to!
1 comment:
i'm so ready for football season!
Post a Comment