Monday, August 20, 2007

Flicks and Pages

I would usually do separate blogs for these two topics, but why? I'll just combine since I clearly didn't take the time this weekend to sit in front of my computer and do it!

Flicks

I have gotten back to my movie watching ways recently. Tivo has plotted against me, making me watch shows I have recorded instead of popping in a DVD and watching it. Ok, that is really all my fault, but I would rather blame a piece of electrical equipment than actually own up to my own inability to get off the couch, open up the case and insert the disc in the player. Lazy with a capital L. Here are my lame, but infinitely exciting reviews of some films I have watched.

Bobby-I finally got around to this flick. Being a history buff, I of course, wanted to watch it. The cast was also intriguing, since it pretty much was jam packed with stars. Can Lindsey Lohan act? Is Ashton a believeable hippy druggie? Demi a raging alcoholic diva? Well, for full disclosure, I must admit, I started watching the movie on Friday night and actually turned it off mid-way through and read my book for about an hour. I think that might be telling. I finished it on Saturday morning. Great to learn the incidentals to a historical event, but not all that intriguing of a movie. Lindsay married a hobbit to save him from Vietnam. Does that really take chops to portray? Not really. It wasn't a horrible film, but it just didn't hold any mystique or have any amazing attributes. It was just a way to pass 2 hours, that's about it.

Capote--This was a good flick. The reason being: Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Not a news flash, I know. I am just getting around to this one and I should have seen it before. His portrayal of Capote is amazing. The nuances, the gestures...really a great portrayal of the historical character. He carries the film and really makes it worth a recommendation. I even want to read In Cold Blood because of it. I would definitely put it on your list...maybe not the absolutely next movie you watch, but something worth getting off the couch for, really.

The Squid and the Whale--Just Say No! I was a member of the movement in the 5th grade, wore the green shirt with pride (my sad, pathetic elementary days...such fond memories!). I stand by the slogan today. This movie is a mess. Its kind of indi...so many may not have heard of it. I almost feel bad bringing the movie to your attention; your ignorance of the flick is probably best. But at least now you won't make the mistake of taking a peek and possibly doing yourself a disservice and renting it. It just is very random and not all that interesting. The one thing I pulled from this movie: us children of the 80's really must have been suffering internally to have grown up with those clothes, the cars, etc. Very frightening!

Pages

A Thousand Splendid Suns--This is the new book by the author of The Kite Runner. I had been told that Kite was depressing and so I decided to skip that read, but then saw this one and the dust jacket synopsis intrigued me. So, I picked it up. Great book. I love learning about a new culture, new time period, etc. He is very good at pulling you into a new world. He paints the picture starkly. But I must say, some of what is in there is just personally horrifying. I try not to be culturally biased. My way of life is not everyone's way of life. But I could not read and not feel a sense of horror of the Taliban years of Afghanistan. We have horrors here in our own culture, though. I know I have been horrified by these stories as well, but the overall sanctioned acceptance of the horrors brought to life in the book astound me. I guess I take it a bit more personally being a woman. I had some difficulty reading it at night before I would go to bed since I really didn't want those thoughts running through my dreams, etc. This is a good read, but definitely difficult at times. I was at Borders yesterday and I picked up Kite to read, but it definitely won't make it in my bag for my vacation next week. It will most likely be worth my personal discomfort, but not when I am sitting next to a pool sipping a cocktail!

Well, these are my reviews. I am sure that not all that informative or exciting, but nonetheless a free service from you trusty friend, Mischa! Really, I do this to get out of having to write about my boring life...

Next time, you can look forward to reviews for The Hustler, A Fistful of Dollars and Y Tu Mama Tambian on the flick side of life. I might try to actually catch a current film...you never know! For Pages, I have two choices for my traveling pleasure: Nickle and Dimed (probably not going to NYC either since it is quite the serious tome about the working poor in the US) and Those Who Save Us. Of course, I may end up finishing Kite before I review again...

No comments: