
Atonement--I saw this because it is in the Oscar hunt and I really do like seeing as many of the nominees as I can so I can do an honest assessment of the slate. It is clearly an "Academy" film, but not my cup of tea. Very British, slowly building to an ending that I feel doesn't really fit the film. If you are a fan of epic British flavored film...see it...you will love it. Otherwise, you may just appreciate the moments, leaving the theatre with a melancholy feeling that you wish you had left in the theatre.
Bourne Ultimatum
Charlie Wilson's War--I was not overly impressed with the "film" aspect of this movie. Do I think that everyone should know this bit of history so they can better understand the clusterfuck that we are presently in (Afghanistan, et al)? Yes. Do I think that is was really anything to talk about from a filmmaking, acting, directing, etc. standpoint? No. Go get a history lesson, but don't expect more from it.
Enchanted--The movie that just seems so not fitting in my list...but I will disagree. Disney did well here. Is it any more than it portrays itself? No. It is a little Disney fantasy film...but it is actually well done. I left the theatre lighter than air and I really did laugh. Not expecting anyone to go see it because of my comments here, but I enjoyed my 90 minutes of escape.
Field of Dreams--Being that I have never been a huge baseball fan, I really didn't think I needed to see this film. Yes, it is a classic in American film. Yes, it is about America's favorite pastime. Yeah, didn't move me to watch it. But since I have recently been brought into the baseball fold and since I also have been trying to watch more "classic" movies, I popped it in this morning. I have missed out. I truly loved this film. That's it, that's all. Loved it..now on my favorites list.
Into the Wild
Knocked Up
Juno--My favorite of 2007 (most will put it in 2008, but I saw it in 2007). It is my quirky humor...it really is great film. The writing really hits it stride maybe 15 minutes in...the first 15 might be a little hard to connect to, but it just takes time to catch on. Ellen Page shines. Michael Cera (from Superbad fame) portrays an awkwardness that is so understated but spot on. I waited with anticipation for Allison Janey (West Wing) and J.K. Simmons to come on screen as Juno's parents...they just really rounded out the cast with their supporting roles. I just could go on and on...but I won't bore you or overhype (too late!) so that you can actually go and love the movie too. It is my treat to you!
Lars and The Real Girl--This movie is probably not for everyone...it is truly an indie style film. But one of the best of 2007. Really...a movie about a man that truly believes that his Real Girl doll (not blow up...molded plastic and anatomically correct!) is actually his real-life girlfriend...it is crafted well. The sensitivity given to the delusional state of the main character and the humor infused to keep the movie "real"...excellent. Ryan Gosling shows his chops too...definite Academy nod...well at least worthy.
Paris, Je T'aime--This is a collection of shorts all set in Paris. They are mostly good...a few miss the mark. But a few of them are great short film. Again, this genre isn't for all and must be open to the many interpretations of film by different directors. But definitely worth my time. Surprisingly, the vampire short (which I thought I would completely hate) was probably my favorite. The mime short is quirky enough to work in a short--who can really do mime nowadays feature length?
Summer of Sam
The Great Debaters
The Holiday
(reviews for the other films can be had upon request...just don't want to overwhelm my readers!)
Coming Attractions:
Theatre: The Savages, Sweeney Todd, I'm Not Here, I Am Legend, No Country for Old Men, P.S. I Love You, The Orphanage
DVD: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Vertigo, Reality Bites, Stardust, Waitress
1 comment:
Good list...I'm glad to hear you liked Juno. I've been getting mixed reviews, but I still want to see it. And I'm dying to see Sweeney Todd...maybe after the game on Saturday?
Post a Comment