Day 1: We first hit the road to go to the Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum branch) since my dad has spent his career in aerospace. It was so awesome to hear his stories of how he designed engine parts for all of the different plans and helped design pieces of space shuttles, etc. I was so proud to be his daughter that day...it is just so cool to have your dad be a part of "history."

Once we had done that museum, it was time to actually leave the DC area. A bit hard, I gotta admit. Stopped for fresh cider on the drive which was definitely a bonus! And really put my Sirius satellite radio to the test. Oh, I love it!!! We listened to 3 different NFL games that day. On Saturday, I was able to listen to the ND game. Music, everything. I LOVE SIRIUS!
Day 2: May the drama begin... We stayed the first night with a friend of my Dad's in Pennsylvania, outside of Pittsburgh. I guess, I really have to start this story on Sunday, the day before. Chidi had given me a going away gift from Sears. It didn't fit, so we returned it. I was browsing around the store while my dad was dealing with the return. They asked for his driver's license, so he gave it to them. Jump to Sunday night outside of Pittsburgh...my dad cannot find his driver's license...guess where it is??? Yeah, Sears in Falls Church, VA. And what are we doing together? Yeah, DRIVING cross country. Good times...so, Monday he is trying to get a hold of Sears to get his license somehow...needless to say, we didn't leave the Pitt area until after noon and we had tickets for the Bulls game in Chicago for that night. They tried to fax us a copy of it, but that really didn't work well...but we went with it. Sears then graciously UPS'ed it to our hotel in Nebraska so he would have it to get on a flight from Denver a few days later!
If you have gone to my MySpace blog, you have seen the Bulls blog...so I am not going to repeat here. Suffice it to say...amazing and definitely worth the extra hours of driving! I have pics of me in front of the United Center with the MJ statue, but they are on my phone and I don't know where the card reader is (not unpacked yet), so I cannot add photographic evidence in this blog!
Day 3 & 4 (am): The drive to Nebraska...one of my most hated states to drive through. So boring and flat. And long...ugh! But low and behold, in Kearny, NE they have a diamond in the rough...a Mecca for tourists...you just won't believe what can be found in this small Midwestern town. the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. You haven't planned your next vacation for this exotic location? Why ever not?! Yeah, my sis and I had seen it the last time I had to drive through Nebraska, but she wouldn't let me stop there. My dad was suckered into it and we drove out the country road to see this marvel of engineering and yeah, only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. What museum has hours like that? Crazy...but here is a pic of the Archway Monument to whet your appetite for a trip to Kearney, NE!!!

Day 4 (pm): So, we finished up NE (finally!) and then moved onto Colorado. I never guessed how desolate CO was...outside of the population centers, not much around. It was extremely windy during this part of the drive and as some of you that have lived out West know, CO is a desert. So, where the wind blows, the tumbleweed blows. It just was hilarious, especially the photo below...
Yeah, I was driving and I drove right into it. There wasn't an exit for miles after it became my hood ornament, so it stayed there for at least 3 miles. I can only imagine what the truckers were saying on their CB's as we drove by.After the tumbleweed invasion, we started the trek up the mountains and arrived in Avon on Wednesday night. I had to sleep on the floor and it was the worse night of sleep I have had in so long. I couldn't wait until morning, so I could wake up!!
Day 5: Unload day! My stuff was being delivered on time and we had figured out a system to unload the truck. Not the best...a decent amount of walking between the truck and my condo. But we made do... The hardest part was finding a ramp for the truck. Yes, everyone assumes it should have come with my stuff, but ah, no, it didn't. We tried the Depot because we were told they rent everything. Yeah, no, they don't. So, we had to drive 20 miles to Eagle, CO and rent one from United Rentals. It was a 10 ft ramp that had to go in the trusty Subaru (who did a magnificent job of getting us to CO without any problems...small miracle!)...it hung out so bad! Then when we finally got to the truck at the condo, we determined it was really quite steep...but we didn't have any other options. So, we set it up...and my dad started to unload. I had to stay up in the condo for the cable guy to come and install my cable. Once he was done installing, I looked outside and say pretty nasty clouds. Dad and I tried to get as many things inside as we could before the rain came. Alas, we didn't get that completely accomplished before the rain. We were moving the couch down the ramp...i was the caboose and the ramp was slick from the rain...can we see where this is going? Yup, landed on my ass! And the couch on top of me. It was one of my better moments and no, I don't have a picture of that! Oh, and the internal screen of my cell phone didn't like the couch much and decided to shatter on me! Yeah, good thing I was sucked into that warranty/insurance through the wireless company. New phone is coming my way!
Post Arrival in Avon: After unloading the truck, it was pretty uneventful. We just emptied boxes, assembled furniture, lamented the lack of storage space, etc.
I am fading so fast...I am beat. This very, very long blog will have to do for right now...but I will finish up my thoughts tomorrow night! I promise!
No comments:
Post a Comment