Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Faced with an Uncomfortable Reality

This probably won't be as coherent and organized as I would like it to be, but I guess blogging really isn't meant to be all planned out and perfect.

Today, as I do most days, I visited cnn.com to catch up a bit on the world and what is going on. There were articles about astronauts that were in some love triangle and one went psycho and tried to kidnap and kill the other woman, Europeans patroling the coast of Africa to stop migrants from illegally coming to the Canary Islands and how Indiana is trying to stop "brain drain" from happening in the land of my birth (this brain drained out of IN many, many moons ago!).

The article that won't let me fall asleep tonight though is about how the KKK is on the rise again along with other hate groups. The article hypothesizes that these groups are now finding ways to capitalize on an anti-immigration mentality that has started to pervade our country. They bring forth the evidence that the KKK was at its largest back in the 20's due to the same platform, just different immigrants. Back then it was the "filthy Irish," now it is the Mexicans and other Latinos. They tell of a family from El Salvador in Kentucky that had a cross burning in their front yard.

I just don't know how to react. I don't think I am oblivious to the racism in the world...but I don't live in that world. I hear people say things that are less than flattering. People in my life have made comments that made me extremely uncomfortable and slightly disappointed that I heard such things. But I do not know the hatred because of where I was born or what language I speak or don't speak. It seems like this hatred never seems to leave our human race. If we are not basing something of race or religion it is ethnicity or language. Hatred seems to be a pemanent part of this human existance. In my naive little heart, I just want it to all go away.

This past weekend, our cleaning guy at work quit. We had to bring in temps to do the cleaning for a very demanding week of shows (6 shows in 7 days). As I have mentioned before in a blog, the Hispanic community up here is quite large in relation. The three men that came in this weekend were Hispanic. There was one that could speak just a bit of English and he seemed the "leader" of the three. He has been back for the next 3 days. Why am I telling you this? I don't really know...but he kept coming to mind today as I was thinking of this article.

From everything I have seen of him (only a few days), he seems to be a good, normal guy. He has worked hard, been very respectful and tried hard to communicate with a white girl that knows a bit of French and only 1-10 in Spanish. These hate groups are riling up hate for this man and what he stands for. A man that is willing to come to this country and do the job I would never imagine to have to work. I admit that...I think most Americans would admit that we don't want to do the jobs that most immigrants take. I don't know his life or why he is in this country or how he got here or whether he is legal or not. But I look at him and I don't feel rage. I don't feel hatred. I respect a man who comes to work everyday and does his job and does it well. First of all, how does it feel to have that rage directed at you? And secondly, how does it feel to look at a man and feel that rage without knowing anything about him?

We all have our things and none of us are perfect. I have always believed that we all are racist on some level...it just depends on your level. We have been brought up to determine difference amongst ourselves whether it be gender, race, religion, ethnicity, education, fashion sense, muscle mass, weight, height, etc. To say that you are not a differentiating individual in one of these "ist" categories (racist, sexist, etc) is to lie. We all do it. But why do we have to terrorize others because of these stupid superficial reasons.

My blogs never seem to come out the way I want. I think its because I am a verbal person and writing my thoughts is still a challenge for me. I leave out about 8 thoughts per every one written...I read these back and go, what logic is that? But, what can you do...until they let me verbally blog (which all of you would just love to hear me prattle on and on for hours!), I have what I have.

I know tonight as I again try to fall asleep (first time was unsuccessful since this blog was running through my head), I will be thinking of ways to be better...

No comments: