Monday, February 26, 2007

Running Through My Veins...

Most of the time, I won't readily admit the fact that I was born and raised in Indiana. Now, there are worse states to have grown up in (won't name any names...but we all know a few!), but the Hoosier State is not glamorous in the least. We are talking cornfields, flat, Gary, and its saving grace...basketball. Yes, the wonderous, amazing, stupendous sport of round ball. I grew up idolizing it...every Hoosier does. It's just not natural to grow up there and in no way bow to the feet of the hoop. Blah, blah, blah...I know...I can never just actually get to a point. I have some time on my hands...why not screw with my ever loyal readers?!

My point: basketball. I have come home again. This weekend I watched 4 games while working both days. You do forget the glory...and with my schedule of late, it doesn't matter if you remember or not. No time=no basketball. But this weekend, I took the time. Got to watch my Irish play and win. Got to watch my Bulls win and lose. All and all, enough good to get the blood boiling again.

I now care who is on the bubble, who isn't, what conference is getting the most nods, whose road wins will allow them to squeek by, whose losses of late will put the dagger through the heart. It is back and I love it!! March Madness is probably one of my favorite holidays!! Oh, it may not be a holiday in CO or VA or UT, but in Indiana, its the #1 holiday of the year! And this year, two of my teams are going to the dance! It's been a couple of years since I have been able to say that...I have been more interested in NIT scores (which is the saddest truth of all!). Now, I have two nationally ranked teams going into the conference tourneys.

Ok, right now...my Bulldogs (Butler if you didn't know) are overrated at this point. Yeah, they kicked some ass early on in the season, but losses to Loyola, Illinois-Chicago and Indiana State. Embarrassing. They have 5 losses, just like many of the ranked, but those losses are to much lower RPI teams. For whatever reason, the voters believe in the Bulldogs. I just don't believe in them to the Sweet 16. Prove me wrong, boys!

My Irish...they have some promise. Their shooting is lights out...lights out. 80% of Colin Falls' made shots are 3-pointers. He is a sharp shooter with a capital S. Has anyone seen the football player parading around in a bball jersey, Mr. Harangody? Yeah, he is a brut and built for the gridiron, but he can manhandle on the blocks. He is learning still, but he just is so big. I'm not saying that the Irish are making it to the final dance, but they can and probably will surprise. A team voted to be 12th in the Big East is sitting at number 4 and nationally ranked. Them's my Fightin' Irish.

Now to switch to my Bulls. I was so happy with them this morning. They fought the good fight yesterday and I had some high hopes for my inconsistent team. Yeah, they proved themselves tonight: losing to the Magic. Damn them...why can't they be consistent? Is it really that hard in the East these days? NO!!! I love them, I truly do, but they frustrate me beyond belief. Ben Gordon...hot...hot. Kirky baby...great tandem in the backcourt. Mr. Wallace (as I call him with all respect for the hair!) is Big Ben...averaging over 2 blocks and 4 offensive boards a game and has the worst free throw percentage ever..ever!!!

Alas...I am back in my little basketball heaven. I may be disappointed along with way with L's that should be W's, but at the end of the day, how could I not be in love with the best sport ever invented...baskeball? Are there any other sports worth caring about in March??!!

No comments: