Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dear Travel Diary...

As all know, I went to see my grandfather up in Michigan for the first half of my vacation. He had part of his leg amputated at the beginning of the year and he has been in a nursing home since the operation. He is working hard to get strong enough to go home and leave the home. I was able to sit with him and talk, play cards...just share the same space...just feel the love that we have for each other. He has such strength, such determination, such love. I can only hope to be the type of person that he is. I really do love spending time with him, no matter where it is, no matter what the circumstances. I love him dearly!

While I was up there, I spent time up on our family's land. My uncle and I went on a 20 mile 4-wheeler adventure and had a blast. It was 80 degrees outside, beautiful blue skies, with a bright sun. We saw all kinds of wildlife and just enjoyed being outside! Later in the week, I went up to the land by myself. First time being up there by myself. It was great...I love that place! I took out the 4-wheeler and tried to find the paths my uncle showed me. Yes, I am bright enough that when I didn't know where the path was, I turned around. I am still here, aren't I?? But I did find some of the paths and it was great. Just turning off the motor and being in the still silence, with spring starting to sprout around me. Feeling the anticipation in the air...yeah, waxing poetic...the beauty of the place strikes me every time.

I went to DC next...whirlwind, definitely. I was so tired by the time I got home because of everything that I did! I was able to see most of my friends, ate some good food, did some much needed shopping and even snuck in some WT work to make a few bucks! Oh, and I completely made a fool of myself (well, no one was around, so did I make a fool of myself???) by falling on the back deck of my friends' townhouse, creating 3 mondo bruises on my body...oh yea, this was in a skirt, in the rain...and I fell on my butt!!! If I was watching I would fall down laughing...but no one saw it...and the pain prevented me from laughing at the time. I do try to be as graceful as possible!

There are many stories to be had from the trip, but I don't want to bore you with all the details. Quick rundown: bar hopping with my Mormon friends (yes, I was the only one inbibing and that I definitely did!), spending time with mohawk Zimri and his bum leg(yes, mohawk...wish I had taken some photographic evidence!), duck pin bowling (where 5 Army guys tried to pick Alison and I up...in a duck pin bowling alley and we actually admitted we had driven 30 minutes to go d.p. bowling!...so sad), two great sessions of tennis with Ali (don't ask how horribly I played...6 months will do that to a girl!), getting "my" hair back (the color is here to stay!!!), and much much more!! I had a great time...I just wish I would have had more time to play! Guess that will have to wait until September when I will be next in DC.

I had some pretty stupid, frustrating travel incidents too, but again, won't bore you. Suffice it to say...flights were canceled, running through airports in skirts with all of my luggage happened, 3-hour van ride with crazy oil riggers occurred, and much, much more. Never a dull moment when traveling with ME!!!!

No comments: