My Irish...I wish I was writing today about how Weis and my boys had proven all of the doubters wrong and how they are standing today, 2-0 against two early season tough challenges. "Weis and his wizardry have created another stellar team able to beat the likes of Georgia Tech and Penn State with young inexperienced players." Something like that would be grand. But its not to be...
We are 0-2. And badly, 0-2. Not one single offensive touchdown (even though yesterday should have seen that event except for some surprised receivers not being able to hold onto the ball) in two games. We have rushed this season for -8 yards...this team is so talented it can run negative yards!!! The penalties...oh my...late in the game yesterday they had more penalty yards than actual offense. It's abysmal, it really is. Is this the team that I have loved since my childhood? The famed Golden Dome and Touchdown Jesus?
Yup, it is and I am still proud to wear the gold and blue. As horrible as the above statistics are, I am actually quite upbeat about the future. Yesterday, Charlie ran the offense in a very conservative manner. Why you ask? He started the golden-boy Jimmy Clausen, high school phenom extrodinaire. You don't send in a true freshman quarterback and air it out. Not smart. Slant passes, short drops-quick passes. Keep it simple. Set up your quarterback for a low level of success. Yeah, Clausen lost his first start since pop warner football...that's ok. He will definitely see W's in the future, no doubt in my mind. He will continue to improve...he definitely showed poise beyond his years yesterday. Yeah, he was sacked numerous times...but he scrambled quite well under extreme pressure all night. The O line is just not being able to protect him. His improvement this year will be great...by the end of the season I think we will look back at this game and not be able to recognize him.
It's always hard to see your team flounder and just be down right bad. But at the same time, I'm not a Michigan fan. We will get better with a very young team. More experience = better play and hopefully some W's. Michigan...well, they have a senior quarterback and was touted as one of the best teams in the land pre-season. They are 0-2 with losses to a Div 1-AA team and Oregon. Yesterday's game was horrendous...they lost worse than ND, surprisingly that is possible. They have little hope for real improvement, especially with Henne out with a leg injury. Michigan is ND's biggest rival...I rue the days that I can say Michigan is worse than ND and for two weeks, I have been able to say that even with ND's laughable performances. That makes me pretty damn happy.
So, next week is the game of the season for me...Notre Dame v. Michigan. Biggest rivalry for ND fans and every year it is an amazing battle between two powerhouses. Yeah, not this year. My dad and I were contemplating if the game will even get TV coverage at this point. The two most storied college football teams are going head to head, with someone having to come out with a win. Both teams coming in playing horrible ball. Does anyone really have to ask who I call for this game? Yeah, no...ND. With Henne out and the Irish improving (question that all you want...they played infinitely better yesterday than against G Tech), I think ND can do it. It is a hostile working environment up in Ann Arbor, but Weis will allow Clausen some more choices in the offense. I am looking forward to our first offensive touchdown against a defense that let Oregon have over 600 yards total offense.
Go Irish!
No comments:
Post a Comment