Oh, how I love summer vacation! And for me...that is actually vacations!!!! Everyone that has known me for like, 2 seconds knows I travel...a lot! I just cannot seem to stay in one location for too long, otherwise I just end up going even more crazy than normal. I really don't know what the problem is. But my friends and family don't complain 'cause they actually get to spend time with me in person...not just have my marathon IM conversations or phone chats. I mean...holding the phone up for that long or scrolling through my massive messages, it can be tiring, I am sure! So my visits actually make those instances worth it...in person we usually at least eat for a distraction. Ok, ok...enough of my charming sarcasm.
I love visiting everyone...it is what makes my world go 'round. I just don't know how to get along without see those near and dear to me on a regular basis. Seeing new babies...new boyfriends...new wives...new houses...or just hanging out. This summer has been quite the whirlwind of activity and we aren't done yet (and in "we" I mean, the royal we...just me!).
First, I went to Cincinnati...the friends I love, the city I don't. It's okay that Cincy is an abomination of a city 'cause it is redeemed by having some of my closest friends. I was able to eat ribs at the best ribs joint in the Midwest; spend a day out on a beach (a lake, yes, but still a beach with real sand!); go to a Bowling for Soup concert (loved it!); and just hang out with friends. Not as many people live there any more (they left like I did!), but still had to see those that were there. I even drove to BFE Kentucky to see a good friend, his wife and their new house. Now that is dedication...crossing the river is a sure sign of it!
Then, Detroit. Didn't really see much of the city, but spent a lot of quality time with friends from Butler. Melissa (college freshman roommate) was getting hitched and I had to be there. I have known her for over 14 years (damn, we are old!). I'm not at all bitter that she has had 2 cracks at this love thing...not at all. :-) She is happy and it definitely showed that day. My default pic is actually from her wedding photog...quality work! It really was a jog down memory lane in so many ways and I loved it. It is amazing as you get older how time does seem to pass by quickly. It can't be 14 years since I "slapped back Snapples" in a college dorm room while everyone around me was getting roaring drunk. Or when Melissa and I hog-tied one of our friends for a reason that neither of us can seem to remember! Or seeing the monkeys at the Indianapolis Zoo whack off in the corner of the cage on our first freshman orientation trip. Ah, memories...
Last week was New York and Bucks County, Pennsylvania. My sis met me out East for a week of relaxation and family time. My sister is truly my best friend and I am glad that we got a chance to travel together again. Our last trip was to San Fran like 10 years ago. We are extremely different and I think we both wanted to do some damage to each other at points during the trip, but at the end of the day, I love being with her. The first thing we did when we got to our uncles' house was show each other all of our new stuff that we brought (guys...I think this is a girl thing and you will probably find it odd, but we do it, accept it as truth and move one). It's just something that we do whenever we see each other. Oh, the trip...we have a great time. Spamalot on Broadway, shopping in Soho and up Fifth Avenue (both of us came home with a little blue bag from Tiffany's), going to my favorite Italian restaurant-Max, seeing tennis at the Open, seeing my DC tennis friends, spending 4 hours just going to and from Stanten Island...I could go on, but I won't. And just spending time in the city. I had forgotten how much I love being in the city, any city at all. I just felt a little at home in all of the hustle and bustle.
Next up on the travel agenda: DC! Yeah, it will be my third trip back since I moved, but that's ok. I love to be with everyone and this time I have a real reason: another wedding! Yeah, how is it that at 32 I am having another wedding spree? One more in October too! I am sure I will be busy the whole time with seeing friends, going shopping and generally having a grand ol' time. I can't wait...I really just want to jump on a plane right now! I am so excited.
Well, that's a wrap up of my summer travels. Maybe next year I will actually go on a trip where no one I know lives...an actually touristy vacation. I don't do them often, but I think I am due one. Where shall I go??? Tropical...Asian...European...Alaska??? Yeah, no idea...I don't plan past the next trip. If anybody has suggestions or wants to join me in a little getaway, let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment