Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Actober...stupid baseball

I blame Notre Dame. I do. It's all the domers fault.

If they could actually play even decent football, I would be wrapped snuggly in the blanket of college football. But, no, they have to be 0-5 and probably on their way to 0-8! I am dismally disappointed each weekend, barely able to stomach 3 quarters of viewing. I am having to find another diversion in the fall. What could that be?

Damn baseball.

How depressing...

Ok, so I am upset about my Irish...they have greatly disappointed me, I really don't know even how to react to this season. I am dumbfounded. But would I be following baseball anyway. Yeah. Actually, I know who to blame...Z. It's all his fault...if he wouldn't have challenged me to watch baseball this summer, I wouldn't be asking questions, like why is there a website (www.actober.com) for the playoffs...isn't the month spelled October!? I leave this special type of misery at his doorstep.

My Cubbies are in the playoffs. They stumbled in like a drunken Notre Dame fan after Michigan trounced on the Irish, but they are in. The Brewers fell apart worse at the end of the season and so by default, the Cubs get to play in October. Its been 99 years since the Cubs last won a World Series and they are going to make it at least 100.

Most baseball pundits are calling for the Cubs to make it to the National League Championship Series by beating the D'backs...I was shocked. The Cubs have not played well against Arizona this year, but our bats have been heating up recently. Most assume that even with the D'backs stellar pitching that they won't be able to slow Soriano and company at the plate. Could it be so? The first year I watch baseball, I get the distinct pleasure of watching baseball into late October???

I'm not counting on it. I am excited to see what happens though...I will be in front of the TV tonight, watching the biggest pitching matchup of the series: Webb and Zambrano. It would send a distinct message if the Cubs could crack the bat against Webb, supposedly the best pitcher in the NL.

I make no prediction...I am a baseball playoffs virgin...I leave that kind of action to baseball whores (Z to name one). I am just anxiously awaiting my first real playoff baseball experience in October. Can the Cubs give me the October pleasure I deserve? Or will I be left wanting more come next week and not a Cubbie in sight to fulfill me? We will see...go ACTOBER!!!!

No comments: